View Single Post
Old 04-14-18, 03:35 PM   #3
SCPOTurner
Mate

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0

Definitely not a cheat!! Check out any detailed U-boote history such as "Operation Drum Beat" (Operation Paukenschlage), the assault on the American East Coast focused on Reinhard's U-123. Whenever an enemy merchant REALIZED it was under attack, it immediately attempted to transmit SSS SSS SSS followed by lat and long. A merchant under attack by a surface raider, such as Atlantis or Graf Spee transmitted RRR RRR RRR for raider. That is why boat commanders wanted the merchant's radio shack eliminated as soon as possible. The enemy would include his latitude and longitude to alert any friendlies nearby to come to assist, and simultaneously alert all to the position of the submarine.

Why would this be considered a cheat?? I'm not suggesting that the code be transmitted BEFORE the player's boat is detected. That would be ridiculously unrealistic. I'm asking that a modder consider adding the "Holy crap! I'm under attack by a submarine!" signal SSS SSS SSS.

It's not only historically correct, a lot more realistic than only hearing a "Too late, I'm sinking" after a ship's been damaged by a torpedo or has been trying to outrun a surfaced boat plinking at him with his deck gun for the last thirty minutes.
SCPOTurner is offline   Reply With Quote