View Single Post
Old 01-03-18, 07:40 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Nuke Computers threatened by getting slowed down by up to 30% due to necessary patches...

... of the Kernel in Intel CPUs of the past 10 years.

The bug, a Kernel memory vulnerability, is at the lowest chip level and allows attackers to directly access a normally hidden part of the chip where passwords and other elemental nformation like this get stored. Intel cannot solve it on hardware level, so rewriting the kernels for Linux and Windows is inevitable. Right this is currently being done, in great secrecy.

If things do not go well, users can face really substantial losses in speed and performance that cannot be compensated for by other means.

This bug is pretty much a worst case scenario that has become real. I wonder whether newest 8th generation CPUs are affected as well. if so, starting to sell these new chips just weeks ago while this bug already is known since months, to me oversteps the line to criminal acting and fraud. 8th generation intel chips are beign sold since Novembre 2017.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

I post this here and not in the PC subforum, since I think the importance and relevance for all intel users justifies to spread this a bit beyond that subsection of the forum.

Note that Linux users are as affected by this as are Windows users. Status with Apple users is unknown.

Users of already hopelessly messy Windows 10 and its enforced patch beta testing program for everybody, can only pray.

Its my habit since many years to NEVER store any login information for anything on HD, I always manually log in, I have all options for auto assists, auto login and auto fill off, and I manually control frequently the deletion of all temporary folders known to me.

I also have private data files like images, texts, photos, on external HDs and USB sticks and DVDs, but not on HD. I connect them when I want to access them, disconnect them immeidately when they are no longer needed - and clean the HD and reboot afterwards. I did not know of this bug, but I am not surprised that somethign like this shows up. I just waited for "safe features" like the above described things getting compromised.

I used to do some brokering stuff online until 2016 when I finsihed by withdrawel from all that, completely. I would not broker online anymore these days. But professionals's brokering still takes place via their computers. Its all a mess. Its frightening, absolutely frightening how vulnerable we all have been forced to become. And many of us still are stupid enough to apllaud all this and call it their comfortable life. Its a big gamble you make there and at stake is nothing else than the economic survival of the individual.

We need cashless payment, and all people havign all their property digitally, and everybody being online and in the cloud! Lets do it! Its safe. When will people stop to allow getting fooled by stupid lies and cheap fraudulent promises like these?

Last edited by Skybird; 01-03-18 at 10:29 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote