View Single Post
Old 01-01-18, 10:19 AM   #6
drhyed
Swabbie

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

In thinking about it more the screw is attached to a electric motor and with an electric motor you can use induction to instantly reverse the polarity, which then works like a giant brake on the motor at the expense of heat generation ( I think? going off of my very limited knowledge of how trains work and driving a Prius ) just flip the switch on the side of a ceiling fan when its spinning on high to see what Im referencing, now image if your ceiling fan blades were in water, consider how quickly they would slow down. Im sure with some testing at a place like the The Navy's Acoustic Research Detachment in Idaho they could work out a chart which got me down below 10 knots with the best risk vs reward for noise crated vs the disturbance I made in the water. Of course it would probably be contained in a chart with a million curves and lines for each 25 feet of depth and each 2 knots of speed I was going and require the use of a slide rule to decipher but thats part of reward of being a sub captain!
drhyed is offline   Reply With Quote