View Single Post
Old 12-24-17, 09:39 AM   #5626
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It is a possibility that they all "drowned". It could also be the they drifted much faster, due to the winds. I have had similar happen, though I got two out of a bunch one night, but I don't think I had 15 knot winds. Yikes! Did not get a completed mission. If you go to decks awash and ahead 1/3, you can use sonar to help in finding them also. It looks like you had the mission that specifically mentions being off Guadalcanal by the 9th of October? or you might have had the general "Solomons" for the 5th of December? The pilots will be surrounded by a bright pink "halo" about them, to mark them visually for you, which under normal circumstances can be seen a long way off, but typhoon weather? sheesh, who knows? I put some Japanese pilots in the water in a few of those missions, hoping to be able to "rescue" some of them to be used for their intel, however, the game doesn't do that...
I have successfully rescued downed pilots, but it is VERY difficult. First, if there is no "pink" cloud, forget it. The marker may be for a Japanese pilot (always invisible or not there, as you say), or the US Aviator may have drifted away. Finding a "pink" cloud is certainly possible, but you can't catch them unless you are chasing them at Flank speed! Otherwise they seem to move off into the distance at a good 12-15 knots. Then when you do get close enough it's really hard to see the survivor. They are usually on one edge of the cloud, bobbing up and down almost violently in the always present high waves. You have to be pretty close even to see them, and then you have to get them into view with your binoculars and mark them with the Space Key before the "rescue survivor" button lights up on the command line. Quickly click on that and you will complete the rescue.

I think the most I have rescued is two on a single mission (part of a campaign, actually) but I have never received an Objective Met signal. The whole process is frustrating, but there is still a tiny bit of satisfaction in actually saving a survivor.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote