View Single Post
Old 11-25-17, 07:04 PM   #2172
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I graduated high school in 1969 and one of the many "lasts" (as in last study hall together, last cafeteria lunch, last school assembly, tec.) the students celebrated was a non-denominational Graduation Day prayer breakfast thrown by the local clergy of the various faiths in the area. I really didn't want to participate, but a persistent female friend of mine nagged me unmercilessly ("C'mon, you gotta go; its our last breakfast..", etc.) an I finally gave in to her. The event was held in the community room of one of the churches; there was a long table set for breakfast and we ll sat around it, in various states since most all of the graduates had spent the night before at one of the "Grad Night" to-do's where all manner of debauchery and consumption had occurred; the hosts were a priest, minister, rabbi (the beginning of a bad joke). After the usual round of introductions, one of the hosts said the clerics had arranged for a very special guest speaker to attend: the door opened and in walked Pat Boone. He started to speak and the first words out of his mouth was "I am so honored to be here to speak to so many fine examples of American youth...". While he went on, we, the "fine examples of American youth" were trying very hard not to let our hangovers overtake us...

Incidentally, the high school I graduated from had the claim to fame of being the place of origin for the dance called "The Bunny Hop". A bandleader named Ray Anthony saw some kids at a sock hop at the school dancing the "Hop" and wrote a song about it:

I am surprised the Hague did not have the school prosecuted for a crime against humanity...

<O>