View Single Post
Old 11-15-17, 09:48 PM   #3
MR_AUS
Watch

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Update:
Just tried it with one of my own torps. Shot a Mk48, sent it out and wire guided it back at me. It did not reach the point where it automatically starts tracking a target (either passive or active), it was just running in a straight line as ordered. Boom! Blew myself up.
So, as far as I can tell, the warhead safety is removed and as soon as it hits something regardless of reaching its "activating" way point. The torps are live as soon as they are fired.
Yet to test this theory against any Soviet torps yet, but based on the above experience, I would expect the same result.
Are there any real world Submariners here that could provide some info on the activation of the warhead on torpedoes? Was the situation in Red October just a nice piece of writing for the film that is accurate or not?
If it is accurate, it would be nice if the game developers could improve the realism of the torpedoes in the game so that we could have another way of avoiding a big hole in the side of the boat (but yep, it would be a big risky move but cunning if pulled off).