Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Moon wants out of the wartime OPCON:

https://www.voanews.com/a/south-kore...l/4047790.html
They have always wanted, for the most part, wartime control and they are on a track for that through making certain "capabilities" are attained. One, for hypothetical example, is to have joint interoperability among all air defense systems. It is a lot better if a radar, any air defense radar, be able to communicate automatically with any air defense interdiction system. The Army has one system, the Navy another and the Air Force has their systems, and their own sets of radars. That lack of inter-operability would be a serious weakness.

There are also noticeable challenges with ground firing systems (missile/artillery) that I have read about.

The Ministry Of Defense and its Chiefs of Staff know of these types of weaknesses. THEY were the ones that pushed for the requirements to obtain certain capabilities before assuming a larger role. The government agreed and the Americans, as the UN senior representative, agreed to those requirements. I am not sure of all the requirements and I am not sure the scenario above is accurate, but I used it as an example.

As a student studying the Koreas, off and on, since I was there in the 80s, I understand that the citizens take their rights very seriously when it comes to social or economic development, not necessarily military development. Although, they are putting more monies to the military in the last few years under President Park. But, alas, she is gone and a former human rights lawyer was voted in. Pres. Moon may not be as wise to how things can change overnight, and, his chosen Ministers are not as hardline. The military leadership knows what direction they must take, but funding is not going sufficiently or quickly enough to enhance capabilities at the speed that NK is developing their missile systems.

KJU just takes the money from his citizens and SK can't just do that. SK has raised their defense budget a bit, but, a bit is not very much. Definitely not enough to keep up with NK's nuke missile program.

Another thing that I have learned about their OPCON is that they have full authorities for Phase 1 (prepare) and Phase 2 (defense reaction to limited incidents), but not for all out offensive war (Phase 3). I am not sure where the lines are drawn, that is probably a close-hold type of info.

Anyway, The news last year? said the SK "citizens" had a hissy-fit about such a radar system (THAAD) even being in their country. To deal with ballistic missiles, even short range ones, ya' got to have radars with certain capabilities.

I think their are many voices in SK and the ones that have the wisdom are being drowned out. But, then again, why would the North Koreans want to attack South Korea? North Korea has far more anger against another country.

Last I heard, the agreement is that the SK military has to have certain capabilities before Phase 3 can be implemented unilaterally. Their military wanted that to ensure no political shenanigans changed the standards.

The Diplomat is a decent reference. Some good newspapers, too.

Last edited by Delgard; 10-02-17 at 08:49 PM.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote