View Single Post
Old 09-13-17, 02:11 PM   #6
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
Mark 45 wire guided, non-homing 11 Kiloton nuclear anti-sub. I would not want to be at the end of the wire when it goes off or is this the non-nuclear, non-wire, non-homing version which is more similar to the mk16 in usage but with longer range? These ended service in 1976.
In practice, giving longer range than the M16 would be nice, firing at longer range with a totally unguided weapon seems a bit much to ask. I assume this is only available for the '68 campaign. Is the sensor threat that much reduced in that environment a non-guided weapon is viable?
-Pv-
Close but not quite. As far as I know, the Mk 45 as it will be featured in this game will be a bit of a mockup. After they were done with service in the USN (mid-70s to early 80s when they would have left stockpiles) the Mk 45 was attempted to be marketed as the "Freedom torpedo" which would have used some type of conventional warhead coupled with a type of wake-homing guidance. Exactly how useful this would have been against other submarines is nil to debatable.

From what I recall the intention of bringing a non-nuclear MK 45 into Cold Waters is as a form of field-expedient modification to give players something more effective than the Mk 37 in the 68 era, I believe it will use a Mk 37 seeker (and possibly warhead) coupled to the Mk 45's electric propulsion (40 knot speed with 15,000 yard range).

Something else that had been discussed would be to feature the Mk 37C which was in development at the time and later went on to become the NT37 torpedo, many of which were exported. Mk 37C was basically a Mk 37 with the propulsion of a Mk 46 light-weight torpedo, giving it a 36 knot speed and extended range.