View Single Post
Old 08-09-17, 05:44 PM   #263
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
NK is now threatening Guam where a couple of FBM submarines are in port at all times ...

The best thing for Trump is for NK to make the first move and blow him out of the skies and the water and launch an all out attack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the POTUS have to get Congress to agree to a first strike? Would it be the entire US Congress or would just a few on the intelligence committee be enough?
Good question with a tricky answer. Due to The War Powers Act passed in 1973 by Congress in an effort to curtail then President Nixon's ability to unilaterally to act militarily without prior counsel with or consent of Congress, the President does have a relatively wide degree of latitude regarding military action, but the extent of that latitude has been open to debate for a long time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution

(Nixon vetoed the Act when it was passed, but Congress overwhelmingly overrode the veto.)

I would think (and hope) any possible use of US nuclear armaments would be subject to at least review by Congress, but, with the yahoo in the Oval Office, who knows; it is difficult to gauge the possible actions of someone who, during his campaign for office, repeatedly claimed he knew more than any of the US military's generals...

<O>