View Single Post
Old 07-25-17, 07:10 AM   #26
jerseytom
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead Nuke View Post
If they only implemented a tenth of the things we are generalizing about most peoples head would explode from the workload
Probably the most important thing here. As with anything that exists for entertainment, you can take the fun factor out of it by making it too much like a job. Probably don't need to go as far as "Game Over: You have failed to qualify on virtual submarines."

Another consideration - a simple boat_noise = 132 in a configuration file is a lot more accessible from the standpoint of tuning things in a relative sense for gameplay, and also in keeping a mod community alive and well with future growth.

From an implementation standpoint I'd think it would be fairly trivial to have a table lookup for noise level versus speed. I would think though that there's got to only be a very limited number of people floating around here that could even subjectively describe what that curve should look like for any number of boats.

If it were me, and my experience from developing professional simulation software, my MO would be to ask - what all do we really need to capture as far as characteristics across a broad range (of diesel/electric and nuclear submarines in this case), and what's the absolute most simple way to implement it.
jerseytom is offline   Reply With Quote