View Single Post
Old 07-13-17, 07:16 AM   #1593
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Attention Walmart shoppers! Oi, you yabbos!...

The inspiration for the above is from a visit I made to a Walmart store here in Burbank, CA, a nice little middle/upper middle class town just outside of Los Angeles. As with other Walmart stores, they have piped in background music. Normally, the music is your basic generic, non-offensive pop music, sort of a latter day Muzak; imagine my surprise when House of Pain's Jump Around came blaring out of the overhead speakers; either Walmart is loosening up some, or some poor sod who was in charge of the music is looking for another position...

Now for a bit of interesting musical history. Early in their career, the Stone recorded a version of the song Mercy, Mercy by Don Covay, a Hall of Fame R&B singer/songwriter. I had heard Covay's original recording on a San Francisco radio station as a teen and later tried to learn the guitar parts form the Stones recording. The parts can be tricky and I tried hard to get the timing and phrasing down. What I didn't know at the time is the guitar parts were tricky because the guitarist in Covay's band at the time was a young man barely into his twenties by the name of Jimi Hendrix...

<O>