View Single Post
Old 06-29-17, 02:41 PM   #982
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Contrast between Windows and Linux. Last week, with a brand new Windows 7 installation, the monthly update rollup became available. I downloaded it and at the end it said the update was ready, reboot? Sure.

It rebooted and locked up. Ran my system recovery disk. It repaired three separate times (who knows what it does? It sure won't tell you). Then I ran System Restore to get back to where I was. System Restore had an error and wouldn't fix it. End result: screwed.

The same day I upgraded online from Ubuntu 16.10 to 17.04. At the end of the upgrade I had no network. Rebooted and found the same. Fired up Systemback. Less than ten minutes later I was up and running again as if nothing had ever happened.

There is just no comparison between the utilities, repair abilities and resiliency of the two systems. Linux wins by several miles. Microsoft has crippled, and then crippled some more the tools users can run to repair a corrupted system to the point where you can have no idea what is wrong or what Microsoft is doing to fix the problem. What tools exist, and they're laughable, are only available if the system can boot up (if it could I wouldn't NEED it, fools!) or from a system repair disk that most users don't even know they have to burn or lose their system forever.

Only complete reinstallation fixes Windows most of the time. That's not acceptable.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote