Old 06-22-17, 09:36 PM   #41
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller1 View Post
Deployed time...

There were three years straight where we spent 300 days at sea each year....

Another note:

If you raise the ESM mast, you should get a bearing from each ESM contact.
The game Help section says that the scope displays ESM strength and the ESM mast displays strength and a purple bearing line on the map.

As for wire breaking and jammed tubes when fired at flank speed, my assumption is those are gameplay elements to force the player make choices and live with the results. For example, say I am pointing at the target, and I have a wire guided torp headed to my high sol contact... and I get an incoming torpedo. Do I order flank speed to start clearing datum and risk breaking the wire and losing my target? I have to make a choice. And however realistic these elements are, they sorta make physical sense in our world, so it seems ok to model this in a game. It does make the game more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrick View Post

As an aside a much bigger game play issue to me is the breaking of torpedo wires. I know for instance the MK48 is set to 10% chance, but I routinely can fire 4, at 5 kts level bubble and rudder, and have one wire survive launch. Even then it's rare for it to last anything close to the full run of the fish. I'm curious if there's something a bit off with the their probability generator or if I just have REALLY bad luck with torpedo wires. I even tried an experiment of setting the wire break chance to 1% with the same result.

-Jenrick

Same here. I would prefer the game model wire breakage as rare when I am doing everything right, same 10% as you suggested.