Thread: New Guy
View Single Post
Old 06-22-17, 04:58 PM   #9
Ryds
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

I've got the game and WoS is installed and working well, (I think). Really great step by step instructions.

Would this thread be a convenient place to ask questions about the game also? If not just let me know but here's my first.

One of the reasons I bought this was for the Real Navigation mod; my mathematics is absolutely useless so I'm hoping it will help me improve - but...

My maths is absolutely useless! So...

Can someone point me in the direction of a really basic guide to learn about angles and bearings and how the relate to the sub/contacts/and navigation please?!

I made it to the Danzig patrol area using the ruler to give me a bearing, I think it was something like 230º. I think a bearing of 0º would put you heading north, so 230º matched up to my expectation of the SW heading to get there. So I think (hope) I've got that correct.

Now, when I got the patrol area I saw some smoke and the hydrophone guy called out a bearing, say 160º. I turned my periscope to 160º and saw its smoke, so then I turned the boat to 160º but the bearing being called then changed to something like 257º. I was expecting the degrees shown on the periscope to change to 0º because I thought if the boat turned to the original bearing called out by the operator then it should be pointed at the contact.

Obviously not and I'm pretty confused! Also the hydro guy was calling out, e.g. "Bearing 160º, closing. Bearing 157º constant distance," etc etc but there were no positions being plotted on the map. Am I doing something wrong there?

I apologise in advance because these must have been asked before only the answers I've searched just seem a bit advanced for me, the bearing stuff must be sub driver school 101 but I can't get my head around it without being told!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Ryds; 06-22-17 at 05:08 PM. Reason: I think I got some terms wrong with "bearing," and "heading".
Ryds is offline   Reply With Quote