View Single Post
Old 06-22-17, 12:28 AM   #28
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrick View Post
I'm intrigued with this here. What specifically are you referring to in reference to hydrodynamics? The movement of the water over the hull basically torquing the torpedo as it exits from the tube? I'm not a fluid engineer, but I'd be tempted to say that it wouldn't be difficult to have a strake, bump, etc to create an area of low pressure to allow the torpedo to exit the tube with no issue. Shoot even some carefully crafted irregularity at the tube opening when the door is opened could create the effect. It's not like the torpedo is exit the tube at 90 degree's, depending on the exact exit path it might have as little as 25" or so of surface area exposed to the drag of the water. If some fancy engineering can be brought into play the drag forces (and hence torque) would be minimal.

-Jenrick
I'm not going to pretend I'm any kind of hydrodynamics expert, but as I understand it that's basically it. They also discuss this issue over at Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210...0934236744375/

It might be possible to reduce the effect with tricks and knowhow like you suggest, and in fact I suspect that's what happened because I'm quite sure the US tubes don't jam at over 11 knots like what the Soviets calculated. However, any area of low pressure through hydrodynamic would likely be relative - an attenuation of forces rather than an elimination.

Given the fact the Soviets were willing to make a huge design compromise over this issue, I'll say for the moment the burden of proof is on the side claiming the "No Limitation" variant.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote