View Single Post
Old 06-14-17, 08:09 AM   #64
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Hope the US commander has a bad day, hope the odds are somehow in my favor?
You'll agree that's not a very good tactic, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
I sure will not light a friggin emergency flare in the middle of the night hoping that I might coincidentally find something - while everything else dozens of miles away definitely now have found me.

I would use active sonar only if I know something is out there and is in range of my weapons.
What point does it make to shoot a Russian fish after some Los Angeles class sub that can easily evade/outrun it at distance while being able to shoot back 4 of the best torpedoes of that Era?

It's suicide.
I'm not defending this tactic just because I like the game. If I feel like something needs fixing, like for ex. insertion and land strike missions which are currently not only unrealistic but just straight up broken I won't try to defend them.

It's just that after playing the game I found it harder to fight against enemy subs which are using active sonar to find me than those that are just "silently" strolling around. I have no problems getting in their baffles, and from there it's pretty much game over for them.

Keep in mind that the encounter with enemy sub in CW starts at about 10-15km. So, my reasoning is, they picked you up while cruising at 10-25 knots, and now that you are within the reach of their torpedoes they start pinging.
Given that they happily use ASW missile-torpedoes it seems like a valid option.

EDIT:

BTW. Out of all the people complaining about it still no one has proposed a better tactic.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote