View Single Post
Old 06-12-17, 04:19 PM   #7186
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Interesting day in Finnish politics: cabinet broke up. In Saturday True Finns party held convention in Jyväskylä. End result was that current leadership was ousted (okay, chairman Timo Soini was retiring) and replaced with "immigration critical" and "EU critical" people. There is chairmand and three vice chairmen and two of them have convictions for "agitation against group of people" (my lousy translation). In other words True Finns politics is likely to move quite far to right from where it is now.

First demand from new leadership was even stricter immigration policy. Today after meeting with True Finns new chairman Jussi Halla-aho prime minister Juha Sipilä and minister of treasury Petteri Orpo decided that continued co-operation with True Finns was not feasible. Reason cited was too large difference in values.

Prime minister will meet president tomorrow to deliver his requiest to dismiss cabinet. Now there will be new negotiations about cabinet but there are only two parties (Swedish People's Party & Christian Democrats) willing to participate. Others demand general election. This means that if negotiations lead into formation of new government there will be only single seat majority (101 of 200 seats) in parliament.

I personally prefer new general elections as that would most likely wipe True Finns from second largest party (by seats, not votes) to small opposition party. However I understand that it is not likely as prime minister's own party isn't doing that well in polls as before...

P.S. The new third vice chairman is Our Good Representative Teuvo Hakkarainen. He is also second highest ranking convict after chairman Jussi Halla-aho...