View Single Post
Old 05-15-17, 03:17 AM   #739
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

The newer cars all have smaller engines while developing much more hp and torque.. in that respect my 34-year-old crate is indeed a 'mare'. I do not know how much of the original 75 hp in 1.6 l capacity are still present, but i guess not much. Top speed is around 110 mph, but lowest consumption is by driving at 60-80 mph.

Diesel cars are more expensive here, when it comes to taxation, but cheaper when it comes to insurance. Insurance costs have indeed been lowered again and again in the last decade, because of the european-wide insurance market and competition.
My car is not a real Diesel, but since there are no canola oil fuel stations anymore, i have to use Diesel fuel for this engine. Had to readjust the injection pump, other injectors and glow plugs, and change some settings, and it now needs a bit more Diesel than canola oil, but still ok for a 1983 car (with Diesel appx 80 mpg UK, or 67 mpg US, or 3,5 l/100 km european units. Was around 3 l/100 km with canola).

What i will have to do next in real life is:
replace the exhaust,
work on the rear hatch (rust and corrosion everywhere), had the original red one replaced with a better golden one, now i either spray it red or write "Golden gate" on it
replace right front wishbone
Well i did not do much for it in the last ten years..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 05-15-17 at 03:59 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote