View Single Post
Old 05-05-17, 07:00 AM   #2281
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

5th May 1917

Western Front

French, co-operating with British, on front of 20 miles north of the Aisne, take crest of Craonne ridge, including Chemin des Dames with 6,000 prisoners.

Southern Front

French and Greek troops take Bulgar trenches on the Lyumnitsa River (Gevgeli).

Gorizia bombed.

Italians repulse enemy on Carso.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Russian detachments withdraw about Oghnut and Mush.

Political, etc.

French government apologizes to Switzerland for accidentally bombing the border town of Porrentruy a few days ago.

Zimmermann states the U.S. entering the war with the Allies would help Germany collect billions in indemnities after Germany wins the war.

The U.S. begins accepting subscriptions for its “Liberty Loan,” raising around $20 million on average per hour for the war effort.

Ship Losses:

Angela (United Kingdom) The schooner struck a mine laid by
UC 42 (Otto Heinrich Tornow) and sank in the North Sea 3 nautical miles (5.6 km) off the mouth of the River Tyne (54°59′N 1°19′W) with the loss of five of her crew.
Asra (Norway) The full-rigged ship was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 140 nautical miles (260 km) west north west of Tory Island, County Donegal, United Kingdom (55°40′N 12°10′W) by SM U-58 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Dina di Lozenzo (Italy) The sailing vessel was sunk in the Mediterranean Sea north of Bizerte, Algeria by SM UC-37 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Edith Cavell (United Kingdom) The trawler was scuttled in the North Sea off Robin Hood's Bay, Yorkshire by SM UB-21 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Feltria (United Kingdom) The passenger ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 8 nautical miles (15 km) south east of Mine Head, County Cork (51°56′N 7°24′W) by SM UC-48 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of 45 lives.
Greta (United Kingdom) The coaster was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 11 nautical miles (20 km) south east of Mine Head, County Cork by SM UC-48 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Harmattan (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 37 (Otto Launburg) and sank in the Mediterranean Sea 30 nautical miles (56 km) off Cape Bon, Algeria with the loss of 36 of her crew.
HMS Lavender (Royal Navy) The Acacia-class sloop was sunk in the English Channel south of Mine Head, Cornwall by SM UC-75 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of 22 of her 77 crew.
Lodes (United Kingdom) The coaster struck a mine laid by
UC 33 (Martin Schelle) and sank in the Irish Sea 4 nautical miles (7.4 km) south east of Ballycotton, County Cork with the loss of seven of her crew.
Nydal (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Bay of Biscay 25 nautical miles (46 km) west south west of the La Coubre Lighthouse, Charente-Maritime, France by SM UC-72 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Odense (Denmark) The cargo ship was damaged in the North Sea 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km) east north east of St Abb's Head, Berwickshire, United Kingdom (55°56′N 2°12′W) by SM UC-77 ( Kaiserliche Marine) and was abandoned with the loss of two of her crew. Odense came ashore north of St Abb's Head and was declared a total loss. She sank on 2 August.
Segovia (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the North Sea 26 nautical miles (48 km) south south east of Auskerry, Orkney Islands, United Kingdom (58°38′N 2°00′W) by SM UC-51 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Simon (Netherlands) The fishing vessel was shelled and sunk in the North Sea off the Terschelling Lightship ( Netherlands) (53°31′N 3°40′E) by SM UC-71 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of all eleven crew.
Snig (Norway) The barque was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 200 nautical miles (370 km) west of Tory Island (54°08′N 13°36′W) by SM U-49 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote