View Single Post
Old 03-11-17, 09:57 AM   #4168
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have watched the planes in the Museum, but usually not that long... So, in other words Capn, when we see these over-90 "zig-zag" routes, and especially the routes where a person was tired of putting in waypoints, and there's only three of them for a loop (obtuse triangle??), we can just about guarantee several plane crashes... There are some routes where the turns are on the order of 30 degrees then two 75 degree turns to get back to #1 waypoint and start all over again...
Yes I think so. If a plane does a 90 degree turn and falters as it does in the Museum, I would think any turn greater than 90 would really get the planes pantys into a bunch. Especially if there's planes flying in close formations. Any sharp turn, maybe any turn at all, might be trouble to a formation flight of planes.

Ships can have this same issue, when the "avoidance" mechanisms kick in due to close formations of convoys. But I'd think planes are especially vulnerable due to their speed, and what I believe their lack of avoidance of others, except for land.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote