Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdimnd View Post
Can you run Silent Hunter 5 under Linux?? O_o
If so, I might dual boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
According to WineHQ, you're golden with SH5! Unless there's been a regression with WINE since then, it should work even better today than when it was tested with WINE 1.5. Current version was 2.1-rc2 last I knew. It's been flawless so far. You get an error message when leaving JSGME but just close the error box and continue as if it didn't happen!

I also don't have SH5, but I can say that SH3 has worked flawlessly for several versions since 1.7.33 (maybe 1.7.35), 1.7.40 worked but the water was flat black. SH4 (steam) has only given me issues once in 1.9.X, but at that point all my steam games gave me trouble.

So you should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I know nothing about Linux/Unix whatsoever and at 65yo am a bit scared to delete windows and try it.
I seriously must look at a Linux boot disk/usb stick for a try, however there are a few things that I need this laptop for:

I believe Ubuntu does, I know Fedora does... but way back when...

*wavy screen fading to a flashback*

There was Knoppix. It is Debian based (like Ubuntu), but it is "geared" to run mainly off of the CD/DVD. Ubuntu/Fedora run off of the CD/DVD/USB (anybody remember when we actually spoke with REAL words?) but are designed primarily to function from a write-able drive (for the swap file).

Knoppix is good as it will auto-detect MOST of your settings, give you a lean (but good looking) desktop (that you can change), and "mount" all of your drives.

HOWEVER.
IT. WILL. WRITE. PROTECT. YOUR. HARD. DRIVES.

You can turn the write protection off, but it is to keep you from deleting things accidentally.
Very useful while you play with Knoppix to learn linux.
Also useful as you can't mess up Knoppix. You simply reboot, and TADA! System good as new.

Takes a bit of time as it loads from the CD (or you can copy it all to a ram drive on boot), but nearly "bulletproof".

In my dual boot days, I used Knoppix to partition my drives so I could install 98/XP/Fedora without worrying about forgetting to account for a particular OS.

*wavy screen as we fade back to present*

And it is here:
http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

And I'm done.
This was muchlonger than it needed to be.

I'm off to make a topic on WINE.

Barracuda

P.S. This post was off topic, and had nothing to do with Win10. I don't have Win10, so I can't be of assistance there.
I do hope you get your laptop setup the way you want.

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 01-14-17 at 05:44 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote