View Single Post
Old 01-07-17, 09:00 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That's more than fair. First time that I'm aware of that our modding code has been put to use. It's great to see it fairly applied.

Fellow modders: what we do wouldn't be possible without the pioneering work of those who came before, many of whom are not around the site any more. Please do the extra effort to find those responsible for the work you use or modify and just give them credit in your readme.

Even if it's not explicit, give them credit anyway. Example: I was testing FOTRSU with the external camera to see DD depth charge behavior and spotted a ship tossing depth charges off to the side. Although he's not mentioned in the original FOTRS documentation, I know, from my experience six years ago, that the man who invented those was Lurker_hlb3 and he will get a mention in the FOTRSU readme, even though I can't trace exactly where that ship got its side throwers.

If you use a supermod as basis for your mod, like TMO, look in TMO's credits and give all those modders credit in your readme too. Not only does it bring the modders of the past to notice by current players, but the history itself is interesting and important.

Finally, are mistakes going to be made? Of course. When someone shows to a reasonable standard of proof that they are responsible for part of your mod, take five minutes, ammend your readme and post in the thread for your mod that the addition has been made, thanking the contributing modder.

It isn't difficult. And don't do it because Neal and company have guns pointed at you requiring it, do it because it's the right and respectful thing to do. And I find it actually fun. It's geneology for mods!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote