View Single Post
Old 01-03-17, 05:19 AM   #3403
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi Guys
Regarding the deck gun problem.
I found this old info from a couple of years ago.
I assume he is referring to the saved game folder although there would probably be a similar file in the main game folder???

its in the activeuserplayerunits... i dont want to take credits for this.. ive just seen this somewhere here in the forums.. i just dont remember where.. but i remember how was it done

look for this line

UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7.CrewMemberSlot<---compartment 7 is aft and compartment 8 is fore

it would look like this
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_DGunC1
NameDisplayable=Deck Gun Crew
Type=Crewman
IDLinkCrewMemberLoaded=NULL
WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_M02
BattleStationsCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_M02
WatchAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
WatchAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=NULL
BattleAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
BattleAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=NULL

just remove what i have highlighted in red
and do it again in the next crewmember slot e.g. crewmemberslot 2
it depend what you should edit compartment 7 for aft compartment 8 for fore..
after this youll see 2 new crewslot for your DG...
dunno if this could be done in a patrol.. i always do this on port

Originally Posted by neosnk35
only one of those DG can be manually manned... you can have it both manned by AI crew by editing some files in your savefiles...
The double deckguns on the Japanese J1M have crewmembers on both guns. So it doesn't have to be done in the saved games.

If you go to Weapons.upc (in the UPCData/UPCUnitData folder) and find the 5in25calUS, that is the gun that is used when you get two.
The gun has 0 for Leader slot, if you make it one you should have both deck guns manned by AI when you get the guns. If you look in the Balao's upc file, you will see the gun is manned by a Leader and a Crewman. But there are no leaders assigned to that gun. Why it even works with only one gun is beyond me. But that's how I fixed it. If the game ends up crashing you can blame me. . But it seems to work on the J1M.

[Weapon 7]
ID= 5in25calUS
NameDisplayable= 5"/25 Caliber Cannon
FunctionalType= WpCannon
WeaponInterval= 1944-01-15, 1945-12-01
WeaponSlotType= NULL
AmmoTypesAccepted= 5inHEUS, 5inAAUS
AmmoTypeLoaded= NULL
AmmoMagazineRemaining= 0 ;Not used
AmmoMagazineSize= 1
LeadersSlots=0 <----------- Change this to 1
WeaponCrewMembersSlots= 2

Edit: As stated above you can only man one of them, the other is AI only.

Peabody
I haven't gotten a chance to test in combat, but it seems to be good to go when I man the deck guns, so here's my input on this:
You CAN get both deck guns manned by AI, IF you are willing to do a little editing in your save game...
I have that nasty bug that won't let you switch deck gun positions without losing all deck gun crew positions. My deck gun was set to fore before I got the dual guns. It will only let me control the fore gun myself and my crew would only man the fore gun... SOOOO I had to go in and edit my save game per Coletrains (post #14) in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...highlight=deck

I switched my crew to the Aft Gun Deck and it was working fine. I could do what you were talking about AirborneTD - I man Fore, AI mans Aft.
But then I got to thinking:hmm:, "Shouldn't I be able to do this again, but make BOTH decks mannable by AI?" So I tried it - It SEEMS to have worked (again, not combat tested yet, but I hit man the deck gun and I look to see both guns manned)... Here's what I did:
I'm going to assume you read Coletrains' instructions in the link I provided. They are a lot more detailed than mine, but not patricularly necessary for this fix.
You have to do this while in port.
Go into the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in your save folder, per the thread above. Back it up first!
Find the gun deck that is not currently manned (Either Compartment 7(aft) or Compartment 8(fore)). You should see (substitute 7 for 8 if your fore gun deck is currently manned):

Code:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]
Remove the words AdditionalRepository so it says:
Code:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 1]
Repeat for Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 2.
Don't change anything else. Save.
Load the game. You should see two gun decks, one with your original gun crew and one with two empty slots. Put some crew in the new slots and head out to sea.
Now if only I could figure out how to make it let me choose which deck gun to man!

It might help in the future as a starting point for someone to crack this problem once and for all.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote