View Single Post
Old 11-28-16, 08:27 PM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I can't even remember when exactly my Windows 7 installation froze during one of their now draconian updates and I was forced to push the reset button, scrambling some system files. Every time I think something like "I really need to fix my Windows to rip this CD, I discover something brilliant like Asunder, which I discovered today. Asunder absolutely outrips every piece of paid software out there with customization so precise and easy it boggles the mind.

It's typical of the open-source software on Linux. Gparted is the partition manager Partition Magic dreams of being when it grows up. Except Gparted is free and Partition Magic will never get there.

I mixed up a new version of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition today. 3.6 gigabytes of raw data, 1.2 GB compressed with 7zip. My 7zip files from Linux are significantly smaller than 7zip files from Windows. Silent Hunter 4/FOTRS Ultimate run like a scalded dog with WINE in Ubuntu. I think they run better than Windows did.

Really, Linux is absolutely ready for prime-time. Most people will switch and never even think about Windows again. It's that good.

A friend of mine had a laptop that was slow as molasses. He took it to me and I whipped out my Ubuntu Live CD. Put it in his optical disk slot and booted him up. In the text that streams before the GUI starts was text explaining that the CPU was overheating and was being throttled down. PROBLEM SOLVED and Linux wasn't even booted up yet! He was astounded and in a half hour his computer ran Linux.

It's getting so the answer to "What do I do when my Windows system...." is "Linux."
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote