View Single Post
Old 11-23-16, 08:01 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

No, Robbin, the way you put it, it is wrong information you give there. Running W7 without updating it, includes risks, risks you cannot evade by using Malwarebytes or AntiVir or Firewall. Certain embedded processes, namely Explorer in W7, are used by W7 to handle certain internal things and background stuff even if Explorer does not get used for browsing actively - Window uses it for internal things nevertheless. The security weaknesses of Explorer are a risk for W7 itself, therefore, a backdoor, so to speak.

Not updating W7 includes risks, and that is why I recommend to not use it online, or to minimise it for that use like I do (I use it just to launch games, nothing else, in principle my W7 PC is a game console now. I do not even do game-related financial transactions via this rig, but do the transaction - Steam for example - via another system. I hold no personal data, files and info on this W7 PC anymore - none. All DLC for a Steam PC game - i buy via Steam on my Linux rig. and even now I must a certain remaining risk).

The securtiy holes in XP are much bigger by now, and you cannot trust in fixing them all via Firewalls and Antivir and such, that is swelf-deception. XP systems I would not dare to run in any different mode than physically disconnected from the internet - ALWAYS.

There are good reasons to not uzpdate W7 anymore. But one should niot have the illusion that one could sail safe when doing so. It is a risk. You can redcue the risks by clever means, minimise them to what is unavoidable - but you cannot completely avoid them. If you do not upodate Wiundows anymore, then limit W7 to the use for what you necessarily still need it. For everything else: use another rig and another OS.

Apple and Android and Chrome offer no privacy protection worth the name, but are safer regarding malware attacks. If snooping should be significantly reduced as well and getting profiled should get supressed signficantly, in principle only Linux remains. Apple, Google do not want to be less penetrating regarding their snooping attacks, it is part of their business philosophy to snoop on people and to profile them. Do not fall for their sweet words and options.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-23-16 at 08:15 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote