View Single Post
Old 11-17-16, 08:15 PM   #340
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Excellent jon VonDos!

I have still a few remarks based on the comparison of your 3D model with the scale pictures you have posted a few post back:

- the big air vents are absent from the AMC version of the liner. In their place you should add a number of smaller vents and gun turrets, together with what seem to be observation posts (?). The new structures include an island on the flight deck, abaft the catapult.

- Also note that promenade decks afetr, are mostly replaced by closed compartments, though there seem to be some discrepancies between the original '42 picture and the picture of the scale model you are using as reference.

- The deck configuration seem to have changed slightly after the AMC conversion. Most notably, a cylindrical structure (a conning tower, or maybe a RADAR, no idea) was added on top of the deck, extending in height over the first funnel stack (its profile can be clearly seen in the 1942 picture).

- Last, though I have no evidence for that, I would replace the wooden decks with metal ones.

That's all I can say for now. Gap off
gap is offline   Reply With Quote