Old 10-22-16, 12:03 PM   #6
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
@Rockin Robbins, where do I sign up to your fan club
This is the best post I've ever had the pleasure of reading in the GT section, how do you recommend it for a post of the year award?
I've got up to this part today, tomorrow I'll install it, I'm not going to try it out as I need another OS anyway.
If I can do this it should be a piece of cake for the rest of you.
Rockin Robbins covered this very well as you have said. He has been carrying the banner for alternative operating systems along with a number of others for some time now. The best part of Linux based Distros is that you can tailor how it works to reskinning it to look like a more familiar Microsoft windows application.

One of the nice things about Ubunto and Linux Distros is they can be booted from using a disc or flash drive without actually installing the system. This will enable one to " try out " the distro without actually installing it. As Rockin Robbins has pointed out, It's not advisable to install two operating systems on the same hard drive as that can complicate doing a system recovery/ partition if there is a virus issue that can't be resolved. It's especially bad if one tries to partition the hard drive and install a Microsoft based windows application and Linux as it's inevitable that the Microsoft windows operating system will disable the Linux application.

As mentioned, other browsers like Mozilla and chrome work fine with it. There is also Office programs to work with it as well. The issue remains working with other apps to determine how well they work with Linux.

In talking with Rockin Robbins, he has detailed that he has it working with Silent Hunter 4. Further, Rockin Robbins has detailed issues with getting Linux to play nice with Silent Hunter 3. The Wine component was meant to create an interface of sorts to enable Linux to work with Microsoft applications.

In 1997, Microsoft was in court on Anti Trust litigation regarding the monopoly Microsoft had with software originating from other companies being able to work with Microsoft operating systems. Very little has changed in the intervening years.

Since Silent Hunter 3 is still a viable simulation 11 years after introduction and many Subsim members and I'm sure others are still playing it. Getting Linux to work with SH3 is still a priority. If a work around is found, I'm sure it will have applications to other games of that era as well.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote