View Single Post
Old 09-16-16, 01:15 PM   #1938
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
There's a problem. As Americans, we have the unmitigated right to maul "foreign" languages in any way we choose.

Hey Bub! What the @#$% you callin' that city Firenze for? Sounds like someplace my mother-in-law would like to live. Tell ya what. You're Florence from now and and you WILL like it. I'm addressing a ton of mail to your new address right now. Thanks for your cooperation.

Buddy! What in @#$@# name is a city called Munchen? You a fan of the Wizard of Oz of sumpthin? Munich is yer name for that burg from now on. Don't mention it.

Zero-sen? AM6? Pansy name if I ever saw one. They're Zekes. No need to thank me, I'm just gonna shoot them down. Those bombers? Kates and Bettys. You'll have to change the registration. Too bad. Life sucks and then you die. Hopefully.

So nobody called Japanese ships Something Maru. Naming convention was very simple. If it was simple to remember or made any sense at all the name was immediatly replaced. Large Old Split Freighter just has that authentic ring to it that comes natural to an American. Because it is our God-given right to mangle every other language on Earth. Yeah, don't mention it.

Sometimes I wish I knew what you're talking about.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote