View Single Post
Old 09-15-16, 11:10 AM   #1915
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@ cdrsubron7 especially: I have not found anything in any of the mission files I've looked at. I've not even found a "suspect" we can call "a mission of interest". Other than the fact that the Hunter / Killer groups are all destroyers, and a couple of the convoys will generate 7 or 8 destroyers - but also merchants, there is nothing in those files to suggest the line-ups those threads I referenced above have documented. One piece of what I feel would be really useful information to find out would be "how high of TC were you using?".

When I had my encounter near Tokyo years ago, I was using the highest TC level my computer could do back then, 'cause I was in a hurry, and wanted to get to my secondary mission objective fast. This is where the "fault" lies, I think. Looking at the map and where some of these groups are reported to have been encountered, the users may have been in what I'll call "an overlapping spawn area" for the Hunter / Killer groups. The game, coming out of the TC, with the user now within the games "no-go" spawning radius, has a group already spawning, and the game goes "uh uh uh..." and starts to choke on it's own data. Hence the lag AND the resultant corrupted save. It might just be that some of the issues reported as a TC issue have actually been a "close encounter of the spawning kind", and that some of the bad saves have been the same issue at their root. Way too much data to try to save. If you've got the map zoomed out, you may not see the sonar lines that are drawn when the hydrophone gets the "sonar contact, bearing 42, long range" comes across the text box, and in TC, you won't hear it. All you'd notice it the lag, and then think to yourself "I'd better save this thing before I lose all those ships I sunk"... Poof - gone.

I gotta go mow the lawn now... ratz.
I can't argue with you on this because I've less knowledge to work with on than you. When I'm patrolling an area as I was the other night I never go higher than 1024 when using TC. And every time I've had this happen it has always been a crap load of DDs never merchants. Initial contact always is with two or three ships and then when I use the free camera to take a look there is as I mentioned before a crap load of them. You saw the screenies I posted a few pages ago, so you know I'm not making this up. As you've said there is nothing in any of the mission files that would give an indication of what the possible cause might be. Maybe it is what Jeff_Groves described as a game engine fault or was it CapnScurvy.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote