Old 09-13-16, 05:24 PM   #14
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post

Now this is really awesome. In fact I find it very awesome seeing so many old SUBSIMers return to SH3.

So welcome back, Kommandant!
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I wonder how many other old sub-simmers are coming back to SH3 because of the upcoming 'Uboot' game?

Quote:
Please describe which steps you took. Why? There are a number of issues that you will or might run into when using Steam's SH3, see: STEAM and other Download-Versions of SH3. We come back to that later...
That was quite easy. I've tweaked a few files for other games in my Steam folder, so I already knew that Steam would install SH3 there instead of the default location that the original Ubi installer disc used. So, when I ran the GWX3 installer and SH3C installer, I knew I needed to point them to the correct location when the installers couldn't find the default location.

I have two Steam folders on my PC. One is the default folder, which Steam placed in my C drive a couple of years ago. The other one is a separate Steam folder on a separate internal E drive, which I created when my C drive started to get full - and this is where I installed SH3 via Steam (E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3)

SH3C is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\SH3 Commander

The only problem I had was the SH3 application crashing on start-up ("cannot initialise 3D engine" - or something like that). But I soon found a thread on the Steam forum which suggested the problem is usually because of a widescreen resolution, and the easiest fix is to use 1024x768 or any other 4:3 resolution instead.

Thanks for the link to the Steam information. Just read some very useful info there and in the one of the other links you listed ('SH3 Commander and STEAM'):

• It seems that having Steam SH3 installed somewhere other than the default Steam folder is something I did which helped the installation work, even though I didn't know it at the time... That was lucky!
  • Regarding SH3C startup delay problem... I often have the Steam app open in the background, which means Steam doesn't need to start when I run SH3 from SH3C. I wonder if that helps avoid delays? I also have automatic rollback switched off, and (so far) have only used used the manual rollback function once to install some of the optional GWX3 mods
  • I think I've launched SH3 GWX3 5-6 times via SH3C so far. No problems yet, but I'll continue reading the info you linked to.

Quote:
The release-and-documentation-thread for S3F(that is Front-End) is on page#1 of the Mods Workshop and has not left that page since the first days of its existence. I believe it was so shocking to some kind of folks (), here's the link: [REL] S3F - Silent Hunter III-Front-End - the NEW way to go (or simply click on S3F in my signature). Extensive documentation etc. can be found on page#1 of that very thread. Enjoy!
Don't worry, I saw that thread! Plenty of well-written, detailed information there, describing what is included in S3F, how it works and how to set it up, etc.... BUT I couldn't see any info or links that simply describe what the included features actually do!
(I already knew about some of them but not the 4GB patch, H.Sie patch, S3S, S3K, JSGMEMV, JSGME4S3C & Steam Fix)

The thread will be very useful when I'm ready to try S3F! Excellent work!

Quote:
The S3G gives you an entire list of WS-mods, simply click on S3G in my signature.
Quote:
Yes, H.sie fixed that issue, so look at S3H - the H.sie-patch or the automated recode included in S3F. An overview which includes both is at PATCHES FOR SiLENT HUNTER III [SH3] and their appropriate installation
H.sie-Patch V16B1 completely automated
I've bookmarked these links! Thanks!

Quote:
It is. I have returned from SH5 to SH3 because I prefer the gameplay. Or have you played MP with SH5, where you can choose between as many boat-types as listed for SH3 here?
I'll take a look soon!