View Single Post
Old 09-10-16, 06:21 PM   #22
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
RSRDC changes enemy AI, torpedo characteristics, sensors, deck gun, AA gun, eliminates TMO evil airplanes that can sight you at periscope depth....there is almost no aspect of SH4 that the "campaign mod" RSRDC could resist changing!

TMO is a fragile adjustment of environment, enemy AI and your own sensors. RSRDC trashes the whole lot in favor of different settings for all. Yes, RSRDC for TMO has different settings from RSRDC for stock. Why? Who knows? But Lurker made a vampire supermod pretending to be a campaign adjustment. Had it been a stand-alone supermod it would have been an honest effort. It wasn't.

Too bad Ducimus isn't here. He'd tell you TMO is NOT a realism mod at all. It is a difficulty mod. Yes some things were done for eye candy reasons but in general Ducimus bathed every eye-candy possibility in acid. His acid test was "does this piece of eye-candy hurt gameplay in ANY way?" Yes meant it hit the recycle bin. TMO was about more challenging gameplay. Period. Anything else was almost coincidental. I do like the animated fans in the control room!

The worst thing is that Ducimus was driven mad by people complaining about aspects of TMO and requesting changes. He would change them and be confronted by the same complaints from other people. Why? Most of them were also running RSRDC, which overwrote just about ANYTHING Ducimus adjusted with TMO. All his effort was wasted. He quit modding, knowing he couldn't please anybody. I don't think he realized why. RSRDC.
I guess an inspection of some of the files both before RSRDC is added to TMO and after will show the evidence that I will have to see.

However, I have already been sighted at periscope depth in clearer weather using TMO w/RSRDC so that part of TMO is still retained after the RSRDC overlay. I have gotten into the habit of insuring that I dive to 165 or lower if the plane looks as if it will come within 1 mile just because of being sighted at periscope depth. That didn't happen in the stock game at all.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote