View Single Post
Old 08-17-16, 09:06 AM   #1340
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'm guessing (guessing) it's the system resources causing the issue CapnScurvy. Silent Hunter 4 is a 32-bit app, and as such in the "modern" 64-bit OS, is assigned it's own little area in Windows (basically a quarantine). Windows keeps its own little bits in there, taking up some of the area assigned to the 32-bit app. While the LAA does help it stretch beyond, for some reason, "The Museum" (big boomy voice, lots of reverb) does not. (Why??) I tried multiple low screen resolutions and gameplay settings, none of which worked for me.

Anyway, what got me, was that I could not get "The Museum" (there's that voice again) to run on my quad-core with 8 gig of ram, and just put it off to there being too much data in the game. Then for some reason, I tried to run it on the dual-core with 2 gig of ram. It ran. Took it a while to load, but it ran. The only differences between the machines is what's loaded at start-up in the system area. My big machine has stuff for the GoPro software, the Intel stuff, a BIG version of the ATI CCC and about 5 other thingies that go with it, and if I look in Task Manager, there's 21 lines of things running, while on the little box, there's only a dozen.

So, based on that, and seeing other posts mentioning Game Booster, I looked for it, and found all sorts of stuff, most of which I don't much care for, 'cause they add to the systray stuff (this one does too), and require registration online (this one does not), which probably means more junk email... anyway, I uploaded to the root directory - err, folder - a GameBooster.7z if you want to try the old 3.4 version. There's a couple readme files in there, which you can toss.

Proceed with caution. If you've got anything important on the computer cdrsubron7, I don't know if I'd wanna do the old one, and would probably go with one of the newer progs (search on Game Booster), if you even want to bother with that... You could always experiment in Task Manager, "killing" things until "The Museum" runs. If you want help with it, let me know. I could make a list of what the program is shutting down in my machine, if you want some ideas on that. The hard part of that manual process is starting things back up, short of a re-boot.
I've been using GameBooster for a couple of years now. I registered my copy but they never send emails. Once a week a popup shows in front of the regular window when I open it that offers additional software and asks if you want to review it. I simply close that window and go on. Far as I can tell it is as advertised and has been trouble free. You can customize to close or leave any application or service, but it will always restore to whatever you had running before starting it up. I like it.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote