View Single Post
Old 08-09-16, 07:59 PM   #1141
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Just thought I look up the Conte Verde. This passenger liner had two different Japanese names. The Conte Verde was renamed Teikyo Maru in June, '42, and in early '45 was renamed Kotobuki Maru. Check out the link below, very interesting.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/Kotobuki_t.htm
Yes, the more you get into looking for informantion, the more there is to learn. There are lots of sites that give information regarding ship information/pictures from the past. As Max found, his site is a ship modeling site that provides ideas for ship configurations. There are several authentic U.S. ONI manuals found on the internet too (their the real life Recognition Manuals mariners used for identification). You don't have to be 100% accurate with your naming, just a bit more consistent than "Small this", or "Big Fat that".

The idea of knowing what the ship in-game looks like is important. Years ago I made a notebook for my own use of images of the ships in-game. I used it a lot when I was trying to identify specific differences between ship types. Yes there's a lot of ships now......but as I said, the stock game already has named a lot of the freighters for you (that's all TMO did....use the stock UnitName's name as its "given" name, and put a "Maru" with it).

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote