Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yep, I'm in full agreement.

================

Yes.

Each modeled asset in the game has a name. Actually they have two, a name used by the game itself, and the name we see while playing the game. Sometimes it fits the asset, sometimes its not even close. The ship name used within the game (behind the scenes) is the UnitName=whatever found it its .cfg file of the Data/Sea/NSS_Whaterver folder. These names are all in the Data/Roster/Names.cfg file (if they aren't, you'll not get the asset to work correctly....causing a quick CTD usually).

So, two things need to be done. Know which ship has what UnitName=xxxxxxx. Then match the UnitName to whatever the "given" name of the ship is within the Names.cfg file. It's in this file that gives us the "Big Old....", or "Modern......" that just doesn't fit (in my opinion) either.

That's the mechanic's of what to do. Pretty easy.....You can change UnitName=Cat, into given name "Dog", and its "Dog" that you'll see representing the model in-game.

What you'll really need to do, is do some homework. Go through old identification books that list names of ship classes and try to match up what the game ships look like, to what the true ships looked like and try to make a close match. Once satisfied with the match, use whatever names the real ships used for the Names.cfg file. There's lots of recourse's you could use to research the ships FOTRS added. Don't just look through the Japanese recourses, look at the English or American ship builders too. Japanese shipping lines bought foreign ships too.

Actually, the stock game used many authentic names when it made the original ships UnitName, but called them something like "Modern Split Composite" in-game......some of the work is already done for you by just following the stock games system of naming, and using the UnitName as its "given" name.
Yeah, I realize that there would be some homework involved. I appreciate the help, sir.

Thanks, Capn.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote