Old 07-09-16, 11:07 AM   #594
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Just had another thought Billy

Will your sinking mechanics be different if a ship is moving?

eg. a stationary ship will sink in one way, but a ship moving forward will sink differently?

Will the forward motion of the ship push it under??

If you need any more test missions where the ships are moving please let me know. I will happily make them for you
Dear Max, you're exactly the kind of captain that this mod is aimed to satisfy.

In order to test how a ship sinks I put, let's say... 5 Kiturin Marus in a single mission, torpedo them in different locations, observe, modify, doing it again. Thank you very much for your kind offer, but I would just not put any sentient creature do that for me, no matter how much I hate him.

Yes, a moving ship will sink differently, faster or slower, depending on the position of the damage inflicted, the degrees it lists, it's crew quality and the weather condition. Also, there's NO chance that it will sink aft first, after a fore torpedo hit. Bear in mind that the ships encountered in the campaign sink differently from single missions. That's the effect of different cargoes and crew quality, I guess...

As I said, I had made progress on the mod using v1.3 ships. I knew that my work was in vain, that v2.0 ships are coming, but I just couldn't stop sink... errr... working.

I've encountered all of the ship classes in the campaign, and I can say that I was satisfied enough with the results, as I saw ships torpedoed forward, to cut their speed in order to avoid been pushed to their death by their own engines. I've also seen them containing the flooding after some time and continue their course at a "safe", much slower speed. The torpedo hit had absolutely no chance of making damage to their engines, boilers etc. However, they DID reduce their speed or were dead in the water in order to stay alive.
SH4's AI is not SO bad after all.

In fact, I shall strongly recommend fore or after torpedo hits in the readme, as the AI seems to be handling dead center hits MUCH more efficiently. Also, creating fore or aft flooding on a ship makes it list more, putting undamaged compartments under water, that's where the water pressure comes in, collapsing watertight doors, destroying the previously undamaged compartment, spreading the flood further into the ship, essentially dooming it.

Please, don't make me talk further about this, at least until it's finished, they'll kick me out of Subsim!

Cheers,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote