View Single Post
Old 06-19-16, 11:18 AM   #1606
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

June 19, 1916

Air War:
French pilot Jean Chaput, flying an unnamed Nieuport, shoots down an "Enemy Aircraft" for victory number 5. While he doesn't name the type of plane he fought, KG1 commander Ernst Freiherr von Gersdorf was shot down and killed this day.

North Sea:
The Corton Light Vessel snags the mooring line of a mine laid by Otto Ehrentraut in UC-6. When the line is taken up the mine explodes, sinking the ship.

French trawler St. Jacques, 72 tons, runs on a mine laid several months earler by Matthaias von Schmettow, also in UC-6. Von Schmettow's score is now 38 ships and 49,190 tons.

Kattegat:
British submarine G-4 sinks German freighter SS Ems, travelling from Oslo to Lübeck. Details unknown.

Gulf of Bothnia:
Swedish freighter SS Oxelösund, 3,262 tons, carrying a load of wood pulp from Holmsund, Sweden to Northfleet, England, capsizes and sinks off Gävle, Sweden.

Balearic Sea:
Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière, commanding U-35, having moved further westward, sinks two more ships:
French schooner France et Russie, 329 tons, traveling from St. Louis, France, to Arzers and Fécamp.
Italian barquentine Mario C, 398 tons, route and cargo unknown.
Von Arnauld's score is now 32 ships and 74,500 tons.