Old 06-11-16, 10:54 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solyom2 View Post
A few days ago I found a good website: uboat.net
Uboat.net has been a valued resource for many years now. It is my primary source for WW1 captains lists in the '100 Years Ago Today' thread in General Topics, and is well known here. It doesn't get mentioned a lot these days, so congratulations on finding it and thanks for bringing it up.

Quote:
I dont know how many ships are registered in the Commander mod, but there are a lot of allied merchant and warships on their list, and as I checked, there are names, that aren't in the Commander's database.
About 3,500. If, however you use my Ship Names Mod, which I worked on regularly from 2008 until 2012, you'll find more than 12,000 names organized into categories representing real ship types as well.

Quote:
Is it important what was the ship's "nationality". It would be funny to sink the "SS Washinton" under british flag.
That is exactly why I started the Ship Names Mod eight years ago. I sank as small British tanker and it was given the name 'SS President Jefferson', of which there were only two - a C2 freighter and a big passenger liner. I created my mod with the express purpose of reducing the chances of that. With my newest update I created new class names for all of IABL's Merchant Fleet Mod so there wouldn't be class names like 'M10B'.

I have been meaning to go back and do the same for the classes that came with the game, but I've been too busy with new projects. Maybe someday.

Quote:
Or the names and flags are assigned by the game full random?
For the classes that came with the game they are indeed assigned at random. Jaesen Jones (creator of SH3 Commander) tried to create individual classes for all nations, but it was too big and the game would crash every time. SH4 could handle that nicely, but Jaesen had no interest in making a new version of Commander for that game. In SH3 we work with what we have.