View Single Post
Old 06-02-16, 09:01 PM   #7
Benzin1973
Engineer

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelwaechter View Post
The job was to sink as many freighters as possible - as efficiently as possible.

A flock of targets close together, a few attack runs and then back to base to reload and come back for the next convoy. Demoralize the English toper in London!

Searching single freighters takes more time, uses more resources, exposes the U-boot to aircraft attacks.

In the game it is pretty simple to sneak up a single helpless freighter and shoot it unseen. The joy of excitement comes with an opponent able to fight back.

In '43 it takes some skill to survive - and the FAT are fun.
Yes that makes perfect sense. Up to the point in time i am now (Nov. 1941), one convoy attack yields two large ships sunk in relatively little time, and escaping is relatively easy (provided i did things right). This is efficient indeed.

But what about in say 1943? from what ibe read here (and maybe those were gross exagerations?), "attacking a convoy is almost suicide!" as in, most likely you will end up dead. From an efficiency point of view, an uboat taking more time attacking lone ships, is more efficient than an lost uboat filled with corpses on the bottom of the sea! hehe
From a historical point of view, lets not forget uboat many times attacked convoys in "packs" wich sadly is something we cant do here.

From a having more fun point of view... Absolutely!. Targeting lone freighters was a ton of fun for me back when the main challenge was actually hitting it, doing the plotting correctly, obtaining accurate data for the TDC, learning to manouver to a good position, after all that efford seeing that torpedo hit the target was the thrill in itself!

But now that i have more experience and manage to hit my targets most of the time, plotting and punching numbers in the TDC is almost routine, it does get old. In fact the most fun ibe had so far in SH3, was the time i took an aircraft carrier from a task force.

So i guess the answer to my question is:
A) Yep, mostly because its more fun (thrill factor)
B) its more historicaly accurate.

Now im very curious to see those 1943 convoys!
Benzin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote