View Single Post
Old 05-22-16, 10:42 AM   #3950
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar Semler View Post
Gotta quick question for you guys. In the description of the [ U-Tanker Mod ] it was stated that if I liked, I could make this mod work for surface tankers too, by renaming "Brake" to "U-Brake" in the campaign files. I can not find this "Brake" in campaign files anywhere. Could someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction, to where this is. thanx Jerry (Doolar) CA45 ( Baltimore Md. )
Hi!

GWX adds a merchant ship unit and a naval base unit to give the effect of a U-tanker or covert resupply ship. For example:
  • [Unit = 1635] is a KSQ-type surface ship that represents MV Max Albrecht
  • [Unit = 1636] is a naval base named "Max Albrecht"
The port is "under water" (depth = -17 meters), with the merchant ship model in the same location on the surface above it; in the case of ships at sea, the ship model follows a circuit course about the location of the port. The presence or absence of the ship model does not affect the port, so even if you torpedo the ship model the port is still there. Silent Hunter III allows you to "dock" when you're many kilometers away from the physical location of the port, so you don't even need to find the ship or tanker itself - just get within 20-25 km (IIRC) of the port location and you can elect to leave the game by docking.

In the case of MV Brake the surface ship model [Unit 816] is present, but it appears the corresponding naval base is not. I think this may be an error in GWX, although it may be that we took it out because it so closely overlapped with Charlotte Schliemann geographically and temporally.

As I understand it, the [U-tanker mod] looks for a "Navalbase" unit whose name starts with "U-", so renaming the surface ship model won't affect anything because the "Brake Navalbase" you need to modify is not in the file.

Hope this helps!

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899

Last edited by Pablo; 05-22-16 at 10:58 AM.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote