View Single Post
Old 05-17-16, 02:06 PM   #1532
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

17th May 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: German attack in Avocourt Wood.

Germans capture British mine crater on Vimy Ridge.

Southern Front

Austrians claim 6,300 prisoners.

Aviation

Franco-American Flying Corp, made up of American aviators, makes its first expedition over German lines.

Naval

German submarine SM U-74 is sunk off Dunbar, Scotland due to a mine handling accident. All 34 crewmen are killed.

Political, etc.

President Wilson assures the Pope that the United States will keep out of the European war at the cost of everything but national honour.

U.S. State Department again warns its citizens to get out of northern Mexico at once due to political instability in the region.

Five German soldiers on the Swiss border defect to Switzerland due to the lack of food. They are now interned at Berne.

Air Board formed; Lord Curzon president.

Daylight Saving Bill passed.

8 members of the national committee of the No Conscription Fellowship are fined £110 for distributing anti-draft pamphlets in London.

Ship Losses:

Boy Percy (United Kingdom) The fishing smack was scuttled in the North Sea off Southwold, Suffolk by SM UB-29 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of all hands.
Boy Sam (United Kingdom) The fishing smack was scuttled in the North Sea off Southwold by SM UB-29 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Research (United Kingdom) The fishing smack was scuttled in the North Sea 35 nautical miles (65 km) east by south of Cromer, Norfolk by SM UB-18 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of a crew member.
Stura (Italy) The cargo ship was sunk in the Adriatic Sea 17 nautical miles (31 km) east of Brindisi, Apulia, Italy (40°47′N 19°00′E) by SM U-15 ( Austro-Hungarian Navy). Her crew survived.
Trave (Germany) The coaster was torpedoed and sunk in the Kattegat off the Kullen Lighthouse, Sweden by a Royal Navy submarine. Her fourteen crew survived.
SM U-74 (Kaiserliche Marine) The Type UE I submarine sank in the North Sea 3.5 nautical miles (6.5 km) off Dunbar, Lothian, United Kingdom after the accidental explosion of a mine she was laying.
Wanderer (United Kingdom) The fishing smack was scuttled in the North Sea off Southwold by SM UB-29 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her five crew took to the lifeboat but were not recovered.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote