View Single Post
Old 01-29-16, 07:01 AM   #125
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Dear All,

OK, I've decided to split up the "badly-named-toolkit-radio-bdu-thingy" into 4 programs: although they all talk to the same database, I've realised that that does not mean that they have to be jammed together into one jumbled program. Also, the current program appears to be confusing for some people which is, of course, entirely my fault. So, I shall split the tools as follows:-

1. "Real Players' Radio Traffic" - can receive public messages. Can also (with a name and password) send messages and join in with a public SH3DC (Dynamic campaign).
  2. "Captains' Toolkit" - Generate forum messages from information stored in the game's save files (optionally writing them to your personal messages file). Can also turn a BdU forum posting into an in-game message. Does not require name and password, really just a forum tool (this is, in fact, what most people seem to use the current program for, anyway).
  3. "Flotilla-members' Toolkit" - with a name and password, members of a flotilla can send and receive messages (optionally to their message file) to and from their flotilla. They can view the score-table for their flotilla. Messages sent are also copied to the clipboard in case cross-posting to a forum is required. Can also optionally join in with the public SH3DC (possibly subject to the flotilla's decision to do so).
  4. "BdU Toolkit" - allows a flotilla-admin to manage members, boats, tonnage and so on, send BdU messages to flotilla-members, view flotilla-members' messages, track flotilla locations, view the 'war-diary' and so on.

In addition, I've had requests for at least two 'bots' to be able to extract information for those agreeing to allow it (one for mapping, one for another mod), so I shall also document the views available in the database to do this, along with how to access it.

This splitting should clarify what each tool does and also allow me more on-screen space for each of the tools, particulary for the settings dialogues. I might even be able to make the tools a little prettier (looking like a radio, for instance).
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote