View Single Post
Old 01-18-16, 07:17 AM   #54
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

15 January - DAY 47 of Winter War

Undeterred by his jammed machine gun, Staff Sergeant Siltavuori, a squadron test pilot, downs an enemy DB bomber by cutting its rudder with the propeller on his Fokker.

Northern Finland: Finnish troops begin to pursue the retreating enemy in Salla by advancing from Joutsijärvi in the direction of Märkäjärvi.

Ladoga Karelia: Viitavaara on the River Aittojoki is finally lost to the Russians.

Eastern Isthmus: in Taipale, Finnish troops repulse an assault by a fairly small enemy detachment.

Finnish patrols on the eastern border are still vigorous and effective.

Viipuri: the city is subjected to surprise attacks from the air. The sirens start up at 23 minutes past noon as the first bombs explode. The late warning means there are still many people on the streets and in shops and offices. Three people are killed and several injured. The attack devastates the area around Punaisenlähteentori square.

Abroad: the Swedish Government responds to the Soviet note accusing Sweden of abandoning its neutrality and the Swedish press of publishing anti-Soviet material. The Swedes reject the accusation and affirm their commitment to freedom of the press.

The German Foreign Ministry denies rumours of German attempts to play a mediating role in the Finno-Soviet conflict and claims that the visits of the German Ambassador in Moscow to Foreign Minister Molotov have merely concerned economic relations between the two countries.

The Swedish novelist Selma Lagerlöf donates her gold medal from the Swedish Academy and her Nobel Gold Medal to the collection in aid of Finland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diary of a Soviet politruk from 6th separate ski battalion.
January 15: Still in Uus-Syväri. Temperature has fallen to -40C. We got some newspapers. Semenov was unhappy. I have not received any letters.
(Click for larger photo)

"Our supply route Katitsanlampi-Repomäki after a fight with a Russian patrol."

Daily losses: 67

16 January - DAY 48 of Winter War

Central Isthmus: heavy enemy shelling pounds the defences on the Mannerheim Line in Summa.

Ladoga Karelia: in temperatures of -41° Celsius, a small Finnish detachment attacks and halts the enemy advance at the edge of Mursula village in Kitilä.

The Finnish aid agency Suomen Huolto grants 800,000 marks in aid to victims of the bombing in the towns of western Finland.

Abroad: a special Finnish day is to be held at the Holmenkollen skiing games in Oslo to raise money for Finland.

A Danish association of factory-owners is sending a railway wagonload of food aid to Finland.

United States President, Franklin D. Roosevelt says the USA can extend a non-military loan to Finland as this would in his opinion not compromise US neutrality.

The Swiss Medical Association announces it is to send a group of volunteers to Finland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diary of a Soviet politruk from 6th separate ski battalion.
January 16: Still in Uus-Syväri. It's -52C outside. My nose nearly froze, but I rubbed some snow on it. We can't buy anything from the stores. I'm angry at the weather. Have not received letters. Wondering if Nadja is cheating on me.
Daily losses: 65

17 January - DAY 49 of Winter War

Ladoga Karelia: the Finnish 12th Division launches its offensive in the Uomaa sector.

IV Army Corps halts its offensive in the Pitkäranta area. The Finnish force does not have sufficient strength in the area to push on to the border. Fokker fighters from 24 Squadron shoot down 8 enemy SB bombers over the Isthmus.

Central Isthmus: in the Lähde road sector, heavy enemy shelling inflicts serious damage on 'Fort Poppius'. This concrete fortress named after Second Lieutenant Poppius can house up to 26 men.

Enemy bombers hit Turku, Hanko, Lappeenranta and Koivisto.

Viipuri: bombers concentrate on the south harbour.

Finland's civil defence chief reminds members of the public to keep their identity papers with them at all times.

The Ministry of the Interior is to set up a supply centre for evacuees.

In Summa, temperatures have fallen to -42° Celsius.

Abroad: Norwegian fruiterers have today donated six trainloads (50,000 kilos) of apples to Finland.

The United States has decided to send two military attachés to Finland.

In Uppsala, the author Frans Emil Sillanpää addresses a Swedish audience on the situation in Finland.

Quote:
January 17: We haven't moved. It's -42C outside. I lost my watch today. No letters. During the day we talked about Lenin and in the evening about the poor situation of workers in Norway and Sweden.
Daily losses: 75

Last edited by Dowly; 02-12-16 at 03:57 AM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote