View Single Post
Old 01-01-16, 05:18 PM   #1253
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark624 View Post
I'd also like to see CapnScurvy's recognition manual make it into RFB, or at least an updated version of FooFighter's enhanced manual. If neither of those, at least one that lists ship's lengths, as I use that data for speed calculation.
And that's another way to turn a Sub simulation into an arcade game. I'd like to go the other way: have a recognition manual that didn't include every ship in the known universe, one that had lots of realistic mistakes on enemy ship lengths, masthead heights, one where most ships don't even appear in the manual. Ship length was never used to calculate target speed for a single target of the thousands shot at in WWII.

A perfect manual means that you require that the US Navy rent every Japanese ship, commercial and military, take it to Pearl and carefully measure all the parameters for the manual. It would require that the Japanese agree never to modify any of their ships after we measured them. The very act of measurement would take longer than the war did. Surely you aren't going to say that adds to realistic gameplay.

In real life, most shots missed. In real life most targets were misidentified. In the game you can go patrol after patrol, even without CapnScurvy's manual and miss a couple shots per patrol and feel bad about that.

Adding Capn Scurvy's manual to Real Fleet Boat would make it Real Bad Fleet Boat.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote