Old 12-22-15, 09:56 PM   #1604
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Haven't seen it yet!
I'm not defensive over Star Wars. While I like it, I'm no fanatic.
However, I learned to hate the "no life" accusation. It is nothing but cheap in the end, and what kind of a phrase is that anyways?
How do you measure if someone has "no life"? What is "having a life"?

I just find it cheap, shallow and... dumb, that's all.

Also, I don't think those who camped there have been aware of causing that much trouble. I wasn't there, but from what I have seen on other occasions, these people usually do no harm, they simply are a little crazy about their hobby. Nothing wrong with it as long as they had no bad intentions, I think.
Even if they caused such problems, I'm sure they still "have a life".

That's all.
For those of us who do have actual lives and occupations to deal with everyday, the campers spending the entire week idly waiting for the opening of a film while their presence disrupts traffic and commerce for about two or three square miles, including disruption of public transit is really very much of a nuisance. Merchants along the one mile long stretch of the heavily trafficked Hollywood Blvd. section suffer from the loss of easy customer access and, thereby, sales. Because of the public transit rerouting necessitated by those fans, many senior citizens and those with disabilities have to walk several blocks to either access the buses or to arrive home after riding the buses. The heavy traffic normally found on the nearby streets in flooded with vehicles not able to take their normal routes and the normally rather quiet side streets are likewise flooded with desperate drivers trying to make their way to work, school, or other places they need to go. The fans causing this havoc are very much aware of the problems caused by their "hobby". But, according to you, all those so discomfited should take solace should feel some solace that the fans causing all their problems, for an entire week, are "harmless". It must be nice to take an an entire week to be idle and cause so many problems just for a film, or, to quote Harrison Ford, "It's only a movie". Using the term "having a life" is not at all dumb, it is a rational observation of an irrational behavior. Persons with full, productive lives do not spend a week just to see a movie or any other pastime that is, truthfully an optional, not necessary part of making one's way through life. If one's life is so void that a film serves to be the only way one can fill that void, time would be better spent reexamining priorities...

I note you are in Germany; imagine what would happen or what the reaction would be if a major commercial and/or residential thoroughfare were shutdown for an entire week in, say, central Berlin because of some entertainment function and you happened to live in the area impacted. Add to this the fact large sums of civic funds, taxpayer funds, would have to be expended to deal with the disruptions without any recompense from those either causing the disruption or from those whose entertainment those fans were there to see. It is somewhat similar to the defense of so-called "victim-less crimes"; very, very often it's only victim-less if you happen to not be the one victimized...

<O>