View Single Post
Old 12-13-15, 03:19 PM   #510
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default threads merged BBY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Let the refugees come, police the borders certainly, restrict them if necessary, house the refugees in temporary camps and work through them carefully and with the help of all nations of the EU, before rehoming them equally across the EU.

Deport them where though, and how do you stop them coming back?
I'll admit now that I misattributed the camp project to Trump, I've seen since that he wants them all banned from entering the US rather than put in camps, but he did want all Muslims to carry ID cards if I recall correctly.
That's a step down a dangerous road in my book, and that's how these things start, when we accept that such steps are necessary, when the extreme becomes the normal.

I guess if we want to keep with the World War II analogies then yes, every Muslim is a threat because they follow the evil ideology of Islam and should be treated as such, being isolated from society and interned in camps until it can be determined that they're not going to explode. After all, that's what America did in World War II, it's what we did in World War II to any Germans or people of German descent, including the German Jews who had fled to the UK seeking refuge from Nazi Germany.
I thought we were better than that, but I guess I was wrong. It's just a pity that we have to watch history repeat itself again, but what else would I expect from the human race, I suppose?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby
Actually you separate the accompanied families from single young men of a certain age demographic; Isolate and thoroughly check out the singles first; it's not foolproof but it's a good deal better than the obvious current sloppiness which will leave post-Hebdo Europe exposed. Having, for years myself, checked every ID of every person; removed all Kirpan's from Sikhs entering Federal buildings (some objected on 'religious grounds') and personally inspected all rental bobtail trucks parked curbside by Federal buildings following Oklahoma City...it's slow, meticulous, and tedious; and there cannot be a single lapse. I recollect Ike kept an entire "army in captivity" following WWII https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disarmed_Enemy_Forces The number of Germans surrendering to U.S. forces shot up from 313,000 by the end of the first quarter of 1945, to 2.6 million by April 1945 and more than 5 million in May. Most were kept so until 1948?!! The Russian POWs did not fare as well...some until 1956. Due to the vast influx and danger this is, unfortunately, the best mass-model we have. Naturally the caloric-food issue should not be as severe as 1945. Technology should considerably speed the vetting/background process. The "kindness coefficient" already demonstated should be superior as well. Moreover the refugees cannot fail to appreciate the terrific strain imposed and would likely cooperate-considering what they're fleeing: literally a Götterdämmerung of sorts. It's not a great plan but everyone has to be checked w/o exception and it's the low-pay front line security types who gotta do it.
EDIT: slight update since the Paris attacks....the extreme has become the normal...throw in the World Trade Center for good measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
That might work, but it'll take a fairly big logistical effort, and one has to remember that it's not just single males that are involved in this war, the women often appear alongside their men too. Rarely mothers though, it would seem, so they might be considered a safe zone.
Of course, separating all the young men and putting them in one zone is probably just asking for trouble, so you'd have to split them up and again we're coming back to some heavy logistics. If you spread them out through the EU then you've also got to factor in that each country has a different set budget for their immigration processing sector, and also different budgets for security, which means that these people are going to receive different treatment depending on where they end up. I don't mean different treatment in regards to the likelihood of having their applications accepted (although this is also true) but I mean different treatment in regards to how they are regarded during their time in the process. I suspect that in Eastern Europe they will be regarded as little more than criminals, which means that if their applications are passed then they will enter the nation feeling like criminals, and likely slide into criminality or extremism.
It's definitely an approach though, but I think it might well be beyond the EU to implement, I mean right now it can't even implement a simple spreading out of the load.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-13-15 at 03:26 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote