View Single Post
Old 12-13-15, 08:58 AM   #225
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Once again RR provides his "comedic" opinion regarding his take on game play.

I'll link one of my previous replies for his long standing criticism of finding corrected measurements in the Recognition Manual.
Yes I do, and unless you demonstrate the historical plausibility of the US taking precise measurements of every single ship on the ocean and placing a perfect identification manual in our submarines you will remain wrong.

They missed lots of times because of wrong information. And no, they could not sashay over to the aircraft carrier they just missed, call time out, measure the thing (they didn't have a ruler that long, by the way) and then correct their ID manual. The cold, hard fact is that unlike us, they didn't know why they missed. Some lost their commands because they did, for reasons not related to their fitness for command. Life is tough and you get on anyway. They did. Every one of them cursed the name of CapnScurvy because they couldn't have your perfect ID manual. You KNOW they wanted it but you failed them. The truth is they would have killed or died to get such a thing. The truth was that it was impossible to obtain short of calling time out, renting every Japanese ship on the ocean and measuring them in controlled conditions. Wanting and having are very different things and we are often faced with things we want that are impossible to obtain. Therefore your entire logic is non-responsive to my contentions.

Non-response to my challenge is admission that you are doing that for personal reasons not related to quality of the game. This is a simulation. Simulation implies fidelity to the problems of the past and our quest to solve them in a historically plausible way.

OTC and now ISP are implausible. Therefore they are not legitimate historically plausible mods. Just removing the hokey ID manual from each would render them the highest quality work rendered for SH4. Keeping them in is a deal breaker for me unless you can prove that the ID manual aboard our submarines was of comparable accuracy. You can't. They weren't. They were even worse than our stock ID manual. Case closed.

I quote CapnScurvy in the above linked diatribe: "For those that accept the fact that the game limits a single measurement (the only one found in the RM) to be the basis of calculating Range to target when using the Stadimeter, and you accept the reality that this measurement is going to produce an inaccurate Range to target, every time you use the measurement.....then stop here and be content to accept RR's idea of game play reality."

A better statement of my case couldn't be made. That is what happened with stadimeter measurements throughout the war that relied on the ID manual, and with the vast majority of firings where the ID manual was as useful as a comic book and they just had to estimate height based on cabin heights, number of decks and a little hocus-pocus. They missed a lot. When Dick O'Kane lost his radar, he radioed back to Pearl "there goes half my torpedoes, wasted." Why? Read Scurvy's "devastating" attack on the truth. The truth is unacceptable, therefore he changed it. That ruined a masterful couple of mods.

And Capn, there were never a couple of complimentary mods like ISP and OTC. You really should consider pooling your resources with Torpx and release a combo supermod composed of the two mods.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-13-15 at 09:25 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote