View Single Post
Old 12-12-15, 06:29 PM   #223
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I made changes to the rec. manual. Mainly just accurate mast heights. I corrected the lengths in the files, but these are not displayed in RFB, so it doesn't really help much. This actually took a lot of time, as I had to measure the hights and lengths of all the ships' game models.
How many modders are going to fall into the trap that requires postulating that the US Navy rented every ship in the enemy navy, both merchant and warship and fixed up our recognition manual with correct ship lengths and masthead heights for every friggin' ship on the entire ocean?

In fact our historical recognition manuals weren't much help. Not only were ship lengths and masthead heights wrong, but it only contained a minority of ships that would be encountered. It wasn't just a matter of encountering ships with the wrong information, although that happened. For the majority of ships encountered the recognition manual was no help whatever.

Now we have an arcade game that makes a shambles of reality. The game devs at least gave us a manual riddled with errors. That was a better approximation of reality than impossible perfect knowledge can ever be.

My suggestion would be that if you want perfect recognition manuals, make them as a separate mod rather than forcing a deal with the devil in order to use Improved Ship Physics. What does a recognition manual have to do with ship physics anyway? Nothing. What do weather adjustments and visibility adjustments have to do with ship physics? Nothing.

I believe that mods should be historically plausible. Now you've jumped in bed with CapnScurvy to turn history into comedy. Now your mod is just as broken as his.

I also believe that single purpose mods, like Improved Ship Physics, should confine their fixes to their announced areas of concern or call them what they are: supermods.
As a matter of fact, why not merge ISP and OTC into a supermod. Other than damage models, which you've mentioned, you would certainly have all the ingredients.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-12-15 at 06:57 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote