View Single Post
Old 12-11-15, 11:14 AM   #3351
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Sometimes even the simplest object , like sub flags, will prove to be too much for the game...Why, I really dont know.
Sub flags are not a simple object.

If you open SubFlags' and stock Conning_7*.FX files in hex editor (if you do it in Goblin you wont notice any difference among the two sets of files), you will see that TDW added three new dummy equipment bones -one for the flagstaff and one for each flag- to U-boat conning towers, and he did it using a file type which is rather supposed to link effects to unit models (hats off to him)! Obviously this is not the most orthodox way to go, today we would simply create the needed bones through GR2 Editor (though I am not sure that GR2 Editor is able to process conning tower granny objects yet), but at the time he worked on the flag mod, this option was surely not available.

Add to that, that each flag is actually composed of 25 dat objects, each composed in turn of 98 polygons, 164 edges and 70 vertices, which are loop-animated at an average rate of ca. 12 frames per second.

Add to that, that sub flags are always in rendering range.

Add to that that sub flags and ship flags use two different sets of animated meshes, so when at least one ship is in rendering range, memory/GPU are burdened twice.

Tell me anything you want, but sub flags are not a "simple object".
gap is offline   Reply With Quote