View Single Post
Old 09-09-15, 06:56 PM   #2572
Nobon
Helmsman

Location: 1939-09-13. U-50 ran into a 10+ ship british convoy- I'm planning the approach
Downloads: 74
Uploads: 2
wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Do you use any additional mods by any chance?

The game in general can be rather unstable in North Sea, Baltic and around British coastal waters (depending of your playing style). The probable reason for this is large number of units constantly moving in and out of your rendering area (which is quite a lot in WoS, 60Km around a sub). SH5 also have some kind of bad habit to "accumulate" objects rendered in your area, and when "accumulation" reaches certain threshold, the game will "run home to mama".

The key for relatively stable gameplay is simply occasional gamesave/restart of the game.
It is also highly recommended to save and restart your game when you expecting appearance of large number of units/objects in your rendering area (like approaching enemy coastline, shipping line, or returning to your home port). This will effectively "unburden" game engine and enable afterwards even longer playing session if there isnt's to much "action" around you...

At open ocean however my playing sessions can last for several days without any problems, but when I eventually find something and do the attack, when things get quiet, I always save my game and continue next day...

In short, if you fail to save/restart your game and unburden game engine occasionally, the game will do it for you (aka CTD)...

Thanks Then I must get some time to do that application, with at least the minimal goals.

Well, as for the above, you clearly described what I do usually the only difference is that I usually play hours ^^ which can accumulate lots of information in this VERY BADLY written engine, (the game is fantastic, but the engine has the worst memory management I've yet seen...) and yes, my problematic area is between the south-eastern shores of England, and Cuxhaven... (the mouth of the Elba) And I bet that it's HEAVILY populated what I have, is clearly the "standard SH CTD"

I use tons of saves, but rarely restart, as if the game collapses, I still have to restart XD and that solves that for a while...

Hmm... How much is the rendering distance without the "Increased rendering distance" mod?

Maybe worth a try, though I have a fairly OK gear, what should be enough for the worst cases of SH5- so maybe makes small difference- but still.

Thanks!

87% realism (100%-Cams to watch burning targets, and torpedoes run for fun..)
SH5 The Wolves of Steel Megamod- Realnav+Full manual targeting. -no contact updates, no map help.
U-50 forever - still a Smiling bastard
Nobon is offline   Reply With Quote