View Single Post
Old 06-24-15, 09:41 AM   #879
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

June 24:

Quote:
"Very little news. From what I can see, we are likely to be down here for at least another two weeks. I don't much mind, as in a way I would sooner be here for a little. The change though has rather worn off. Am not a bit comfortable, my billet being a horrible dirty place, with all sorts of weird odours. Food pretty fair, but none too clean, and all eating utinsils invariably very dirty."
-Harold Rosher, letter to his father, June 24, 1915
Air War: The first 'production' Fokker E.I, 8/15, leaves the factory.

North Sea: Max Valentiner, commanding U-38, finds another British fishing fleet and uses his deck gun to sink the trawlers Commander, 149 tons; Lebanon, 111 tons; Viceroy, 150 tons; and Vine, 110 tons; plus the drifters J.M. & S., 78 tons; Monarda, 87 tons; Primrose, 91 tons; Quiet Waters, 63 tons; and Star of Bethlehem, 77 tons. Valentiner ends his second war patrol with a total of 22 ships and 9,134 tons.

German East Africa: At 0915 HMS Mersey and Severn weigh anchor and head out for blind-firing practice over Barakuni Island.

At 1706 HMS Hyacinth records an aircraft flying over Mafia Island. This is the first recorded observation of the testing of the newly-arrived landplanes.